[Tugindia] pdfLatex, pdftricks and ps4pdf

Manoj KUMMINI kummini at math.ukans.edu
Tue Aug 26 08:36:11 CEST 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 16:29:43hrs -0400, Ashis Kumar Mal wrote:

> There seem to have n number of ways of reaching pdf. And even
> more number of pages on the net releated to pdf conversion.I
> have few  doubts.
>
> 1. Are pdfTeX and pdfLateX equivalent ?

Yes, but, as the names suggest, pdfTeX works on plain TeX sources while
pdfLaTeX works on LaTeX sources.

> 3. a) Whats the most safe/easy of way making a (type-1) pdf from LaTeX ?

latex
dvips -Ppdf -G0
ps2pdf

A short, but informative, discourse on generating PDF is available with the
IEEEtran.cls bundle. You can download it from IEEE (http://www.ieee.org/)
or from CTAN:/macros/latex/contrib/IEEEtran.  Look for a file called
*testflow*

>    b) If there are figures are in pstricks/xfig ?

If you are using the method described above, figures in pstricks and eps
figures from xfig will be compiled as usual.

With regards,
Manoj.

--
Manoj Kummini
Graduate Student, Dept. of Mathematics, The Univ. of Kansas,