[Tuglist] print the color images to monochrome images

Radhakrishnan CV tuglist@tug.org.in
06 Sep 2002 09:06:46 +0530

    KNM> On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 06:00:39PM +0530, Baskaran wrote:

    Bhaskaran> I handle a job with lot of color images. They needed
    Bhaskaran> only monochrome image print-out, without any intruption
    Bhaskaran> in the image files, I want to print the color images to
    Bhaskaran> monochrome images. There is any package available for
    Bhaskaran> switch off the color.

    KNM> If your image is already a part of a PostScript file, then
    KNM> try gs(1), with a proper DEVICE. Use

    KNM> $ gs -h

This gives a scope for converting the color eps's into monochrome
eps's using convert (which I guess, calls gs to do the job) exploiting
the shell escape of TeX compiler. The following test file worked
correctly in my setup:

 \documentclass{article}

 \usepackage{graphicx}

 \begin{document}

  \includegraphics[width=\linewidth]{color.eps}

  \immediate\write18{convert -monochrome color.eps mono.eps}

  \includegraphics[width=\linewidth]{mono.eps}

 \end{document}

The \includegraphics command can be modified to accommodate the
\write18 function, so that the process becomes easier.