[Tugindia] Spacing after sentences in Emacs/LaTex

David Kastrup tugindia@tug.org
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:52:33 +0100

Sivaram Neelakantan <sivaram.neelakandan@wipro.com> writes:

> In Emacs, sentences are recognised by the fact that it starts after 2
> spaces after a period.  I believe this is the american way of doing
> it(at least that's how it says in manual).  Does latex too, do the
> same?  I mean when typeset, it doesn't appear to leave 2 spaces, so
> what convention does it use?  If space between sentences is actually a
> rubber length which can be stretched or squeezed depending on the line
> being typeset, how does it typeset a new sentence?

The TeX book contains information about this, as does the LaTeX
book.  Probably most other references should do so, too.

Where have you looked for it?
\spacefactor (for the involved TeX internals).

Email: David.Kastrup@t-online.de