[Tugindia] The cooking started.

Radhakrishnan CV tugindia@tug.org
19 Oct 2002 09:11:31 +0530

>>>>> "Dinesh" == Dinesh Karia <dineshjk@earth.planet.net.in> writes:

    Dinesh> Hello all,

Please don't post html formatted mails to the list. You might want to
look at your post in the archive and see for your yourself:

 http://www.tug.org/pipermail/tugindia/2002-October/000924.html

    Dinesh> It seems our enthusiasm has covered many members of the
    Dinesh> TugIndia; I am not an exception. The first task I took was
    Dinesh> to design Presentation using CVR's Pdfslide.

Thanks for using pdfslide. However, I would request you to use
pdfscreen instead which is more supported than the pdfslide (survives
in the CTAN just for academic reasons, should fade away in due
course). pdfscreen provides all the functionality of its little sister
plus much more.

    Dinesh> Naturally the best way to learn ins and outs was to
    Dinesh> download the source files. I did so. But now my download
    Dinesh> directory is full of scattered .tex, .sty, .pdf, .cls .fd
    Dinesh> files from various sources. Now I want to put the things
    Dinesh> in the right place.

You might classify all the packages, font definition files, etc.,
create separate directories for each bundle below your
$TEXMF/tex/latex, move the files to these new directories, run texhash
(or whatever in your distribution) to update the TeX file database.
You're done.

    Dinesh> (Let me break the news that mimicking many of the
    Dinesh> statements in various tutorials on TUGIndia, I could learn
    Dinesh> many a things to prepare a tutorial.).

Wonderful!

    Dinesh> By the way which kind of environments are \begin{screen}
    Dinesh> and \begin{print} used in various chap??.tex in tutorials
    Dinesh> on TUG India?

These are provided by pdfscreen. The contents of screen environment
will be output only in screen version and that of print in print
version only.  This is necessary when we want to format a particular
item, say a color table which we need in color in screen, while in
print we need only monochrome or certain things which are not relevant
in print like a navigation button to take you to another page should
appear only in screen version.

    Dinesh> I have ordered The TeXBook and the other by Lamport. But
    Dinesh> before it arrives, can anybody point to a tutorial which
    Dinesh> explains \textbf{all} \TeX and \LaTeX commands and using
    Dinesh> which one can learn how to decode a .cls, .sty,.clo, .def
    Dinesh> files!!

TeX FAQ by Robin Fairbairns might provide you a lot of information:

 http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?introduction=yes