[Tugindia] Wide circulation of TUG Proceedings

H.S.Rai tugindia@tug.org
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 23:39:56 +0530 (IST)

Today at 9:19pm +0530 Radhakrishnan CV wrote:

>    No, it is the property of TUG now and one of the coming issues of
>    TUGBoat will be the TUG2002 proceedings.

TUGBoat appears to me as  only for private circulation to members. IMO
at least proceedings deserve to be published and sold. TUG can explore
this avenue and it may be a source of income also.

>        HSR> who can sell good number of copies to target persons and
>        HSR> Libraries, or if TUG can  donate copies of proceeding to
>        HSR> selected Libraries?
>
>    Are  you serious  to believe  that people  are interested  in the
>    proceedings? I doubt they're, Rai.

Not  Tom  &  Jerry. But  there  must  a  sizable  segment. And,  going
through  preprint,   It  made  me  think   so. IMO,  computer  science
department,  mathematics department,  language  department need  these
proceedings. The only  point is  how TUG sell  it to  them. Unless TUG
publish it and made available to public, how public come to know about
it, and  from where they  buy. If it is there  in library shelf,  I am
sure it will attract readers.

Moreover most of papers in preprint appears to me pointing a scope for
research, where  student can  do work  as a  major project,  thesis at
masters  level or  even at  doctoral  level. On LIH,  most of  student
request for some suitable project. If such students have access to TUG
proceeding, they may take up TeX related projects.

--
H.S.Rai