[Tugindia] Re: [Tuglist] A suggestion.

Dr. Dinesh Karia tugindia@tug.org
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 21:44:31 +0530

------=_NextPart_000_0075_01C26B26.0E725B60

Dear Prof. Radhakrishnan,

    Please find herewith enclosed the TeX file containing a small write-up
for PCQ. Since the article is meant for heterogeneous group of readers, I
have not gone into the details. For example, I have kept the discussion of
figures and various figure-like construct needed in Mathematical Articles.
Also, the discussion of how TeX/LaTeX works is also kept at a distance from
the scope of the article. In short, I have highlighted only a few (commonly
used) features of TeX. Nor I have discussed TUG the back-bone of TeX. Please
feel free to comment on the article and if you feel the article should be
revised, please tell me.

    Thanking you,

Sincerely yours,

Dinesh Karia

----- Original Message -----
From: "Radhakrishnan CV" <cvr@river-valley.org>
To: <tugindia@tug.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 7:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Tugindia] Re: [Tuglist] A suggestion.

> [...]
>
>     Dinesh>     Should I send the write-up to you?
>
> Yes please.
>
>     Dinesh>     Any deadline required? Please be specific on these two
>     Dinesh> issues.
>
> Sooner is the better.
>
> --
> Radhakrishnan
>
> PS: I would earnestly request you not to append the previous post to
> your mail.

------=_NextPart_000_0075_01C26B26.0E725B60

\documentclass[12pt,final,reqno]{amsart}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% usepackage =
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%\usepackage{amsmath}
%\usepackage{amsfonts}
%\usepackage{amssymb}
%\usepackage{amsthm}
%\usepackage{graphicx}   %for diagrams
%\usepackage{color}
%\usepackage{latexsym}
%\usepackage{amssymb}

\begin{document}

\title{\LaTeX\ an ultimate tool in typesetting}
\author{Dinesh~J.~Karia}
\address{Department of Mathematics\\
            Sardar Patel University\\
            Vallabh Vidyanagar 388120\\
            Gujarat, INDIA}
\email{dineshjk@earth.planet.net.in}
\thanks{The author is thankful to TUG-India and in particular to
Prof. C.V. Radhakrishnan and Prof. H.S. Rai for the motivation to
prepare this article}
\date{\today}

\maketitle

\section{A small historical notes}
While typesetting his book \emph{The Art of Computer Programming,
} in 1968, Donald E. Knuth faced a lot of difficulties. In stead
of searching for a ready made \emph{word processor} outside, he
searched within himself to write a programming language that would
help him in typesetting his new articles and books. Thus came \TeX
\ which had to serve the whole community for the generations to
come. The word \TeX\ (pronounced as tek) is a group of three Greek
letters $\tau\epsilon\chi$ to emphasize that the program would
take care of \textbf{all} sort of mathematical typing. In fact, it
goes far beyond these boundary conditions to the extent that
everybody using \TeX\ will support the title of this article. As
is clear by now, \TeX is a \emph{programming language} or a
\emph{text formatting program}; and to interact with \TeX one
needs a kind of basic format like \emph{Plain \TeX}. However,
usually people do not differentiate between \TeX and Plain \TeX.

\section{Why is the distributions of \TeX\ so popular?}

The obvious, but not the only, answer is that it is developed
``\emph{by and for}'' scientists! The \TeX\ language understands
only a basic set of tokens, sufficient for a simple typing.
However, it has the capability to be extended to encompass more
complex formatting and typesetting commands based on the basic
commands of \TeX. If one understands the \emph{modus operandi} of
\TeX, (s)he can develop an extension of \TeX\ (another reason to
make it popular). The most popular extension of \TeX\ is \LaTeX,
(the latest version being \LaTeXe, an intermediate product of the
\LaTeX3 Project), developed by Leslie Lamport. \AmS-\LaTeX,
developed by Michael D. Spivak for \AmS (the American Mathematical
Society), added many features to \LaTeXe by means of adding
various \emph{classes} and \emph{macros} suitable for typesetting
of its various journals. \emph{MiKTeX} is also a popular
distribution of \TeX meant to be used on Windows (95/98/NT/2000).
One extension \emph{omega} is a 16-bit enhanced version of \TeX.
There are many more. Any kind of \TeX\ distribution is a freeware;
one just needs to download. And since the PCQ CD of this issue
carries \TeX Live, you are relieved from downloading. PCQ CD also
carried MiKTeX (saving a total of about 500 MB of downloading!)
All this is maintained on more than scores of mirrors of CTAN
(Comprehensive \TeX Archive Network). These servers are not only
updated very frequently, but they also exchange contributions
among themselves. The list of the above extensions should not
leave the impression that \TeX is a platform dependent language.
Truly speaking it is not. On any platform, the \TeX/\LaTeX
compilers accept only ASCII files as input and the output
generated in form of a \emph{.dvi} (device independet) file. The
same file could be used to view/print the output on \textbf{any
platform}. Not only this, but with almost all distributions of
\TeX, one can also produce a \emph{.pdf} or \emph{.ps} files too.
Thus the form of input is very simple and platform independent and
the output is also the platform independent.

\section{The basic features}

The answer is, ``Everything on the earth if it comes to
typesetting''. The answer is pseudo-realistic. Say for instance,
presently, there is no \TeX\ package that helps typesetting in
Gujarati Script. But it is possible to enhance \LaTeX (and hence
\TeX) to encompass this facility. In fact, Knuth not only created
\TeX and Plain \TeX but he also developed the program known as
\textsf{METAFONT} that can be used to produce new fonts of all
designs. Japanese, Chinese, Devnagari and host of other fonts are
created using this program by many enthusiastic programmers
including the amateur ones. Using all these a scientist, an
engineer, a doctor or even a layman can typeset any kind of
documents. \LaTeX, is a markup language and so to type anything
one needs to type each instruction in ASCII only. The only
characters used while typing the input file (.tex file) are the
ones available on the usual 101 keyboard. It does not matter even
if somebody leaves more spaces between two words or sentences.
\LaTeX understands the rules of inter-word and inter sentence
blanks. For example, both the following entries will give rise to
the same output as: This is my sentence. Inter sentence space.
\begin{verbatim} This is           my sentence.     Inter sentence
 space.
This is my sentence.             Inter sentence space
\end{verbatim}
Thus the \LaTeX\ compiler considers more than one spaces as one
space only. As mentioned above there are many fonts that come with
any distribution of \TeX.

Any \TeX distribution contains at least 75 fonts in various design
sizes, each of which is also available in up to eight
magnification steps. All these fonts were produced with
\textsf{METAFONT}. However in reality the distributions like
MiKTeX contains more than thousand font design (.fd) files. Choice
of a particular font family depends upon the requirement of the
publishers. To produce various types letters like \textit{italic},
\textrm{Roman}, \textbf{Bold}, \textsf{Sanserif} \textsl{Slanted},
\emph{emphasized} are produced by typing
\begin{verbatim}
\textit{italic}, \textrm{Roman}, \textbf{Bold},
\textsf{Sanserif}\textsl{Slanted}, \emph{emphasized}
\end{verbatim}
The accented and other European characters are also typed easily.
For example, some of the characters \oe \ \OE\ \ae\ \AE\ \aa\ \AA\
\o\ \l\ \ss\ \"{o}\ \"u\ are used in the following sentence.
{\AA}ngstr{\o}m is typed as \verb"{\AA}ngstr{\o}m". M\"unster is
typed as \verb|M\"unster|. One misleading fact, is that \LaTeX\ is
not a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) processor, however it
is certain that in no time you are able to see what you are going
to get on paper. And among the scientists it is a common practice
to keep on eye on the type of output constantly while using
\LaTeX. It shows WYG (what you get) in other window. Though a
WYSIWYG word processor is appreciated, it is really cumbersome to
typeset in such word processor. Subscripts, superscripts, symbols,
figures and what not is needed in a technical document! the
commands in WYSIWYG word processors are not intuitive. Moreover
the font files are not an integral part of the distribution of
such processors, so they vary from machine to machine. However, in
\LaTeX, this is not the case, whichever is your platform. For
subscript you need to type \_ . At the same time one should note
that to type such things you need to enter into math mode. The
math mode are marked up with \$. Say for instance to typeset $x_1,
x_2,\ldots,x_n$ you need to type set \verb"$x_1, x_2,\ldots,x_n$".
Usually the level of subscripts available in a word processor is
limited. However in \LaTeX, you can have any number of subscripts,
superscripts and even their combination. For instance,
$x_{i_{j{_k}}}^n$ could be produced by typing
\verb"$x_{i_{j{_k}}}^n$". For Greek letters $\alpha, \beta, \chi
\ldots$, one need to type \verb$\alpha,\beta,\chi\ldots$.
Naturally the name of the symbols one is using must be known to
him/her.

\section{Advanced facilities}

The very complicated mathematical formulae (in fact, any other
type of typing) could be neatly typed with ease in \LaTeX. There
are two type of math formulae - the displayed one and inline. The
boundaries of displayed formulae are either marked up with \$\$ or
by the so called math environments like \emph{equation, aligned,
enumerate} and so on. The following gives glimpses of such typing.

\begin{equation}
f(x) =3D
  \begin{cases}\label{case:001}
    x^2 + \sqrt{a + b - c^{n+1}} & \text{if $x > 0$}, \\
    x^2 + \sin(x) & \text{otherwise}.
  \end{cases}
\end{equation}

The above is produced by typing the following
\begin{verbatim}
\begin{equation}
f(x) =3D
  \begin{cases}\label{case:001}
    x^2 + \sqrt{a + b - c^{n+1}} & \text{if $x > 0$}, \\
    x^2 + \sin(x) & \text{otherwise}.
  \end{cases}
\end{equation}
\end{verbatim}

Also, the numbering of the formulae and all the items are
automatic. That is, if you make addition or deletion of numbered
items, then the numbers are reassigned automatically. And whenever
any cross reference is made using the \verb"\ref{?}" command, it
is the job of the compiler to give the correct reference. Say for
example, the above definition of the function could be referred to
as \verb"\ref{case:001}". This number (\ref{case:001}) is produced
using the ref command.

One more obvious requirement \LaTeX fulfils by using the so called
class files (.cls) is the environments like Theorem, Definitions,
Remarks etc are typeset in their own way mentioned in the
corresponding .cls files. Since almost all International Journals
are demanding the manuscripts typed in \LaTeX, they also mention
in the directions to the authors, the files to be used. The \LaTeX
classes for articles, books, letters, reports, do all the needed
book-keeping of typesetting names of the authors, date of
communication, abstract, table of content, bibliography etc.

The \LaTeX distribution is just inevitable and integral part of
each and every future typesetting.

\end{document}

------=_NextPart_000_0075_01C26B26.0E725B60--