[Tugindia] suggestions

utpal deka tugindia@tug.org
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 09:33:17 +0500 (IST)

Hi!
I am Utpal, a graduate student. I am working in Linux and use latex oftenly. Currently, I am writing my thesis and faced some problem while using latex.

I am using a \documentclass[book] for my purpose to get the chapters. Now, while defining \chapter, I get the default output. I want to change the font size & style of the chapter that appears at the top of the page with the chapter number at the right. I tried using \chapter{CHAPTER} which gives me caps and also used \chapter{\textsc{Chapter}}, but of no use. I am unable to use other styles like Italic for the same. Please, suggest me how to do it and also to get the whole chapter and chaptername to the right of the page?

Second, I was trying to change the appendix counter like Appendix-A to say Appendix-C. In case of changing chapter counters it can be done by using the calc package and adding to counter. How should I change in case of \Alph like appendix?

Third, I was trying to use graphs drawn in xfig in latex. I followed the same instructions to include it as given in the help of xfig. While doing latex of the file it showed errors saying that the latex version cannot go with macros #. The xfig file, which contains macros like # is by default. How should I include xfigs containing texts in latex file? Moreover, how should I include other graphics file like *.tiff, *jpg, *.bmp etc in latex?

Fourth, If i want to include different chapters under the book class definition of document to edit each chapter seperately, will I have to the preamble in case of the chapters which are written seperately. e.g.
\documentclass[book]
\begin{document}
\include{chapter1} Now, should this chapters contain a preamble or it should be simple tex files without preamble.
\include{chapter2}

\end{document}

Your suggestions will help me a lot to ovecome this difficulty I am currently facing. I hope you will help me to sort out my problems.

With warm regards,

Utpal
Sify Mail - now with Anti-virus protection powered by Trend Micro, USA.
Know more at http://mail.sify.com

Sunny`s column,World Cup Schedule, Scorecards, The cricket Store and much much more!!
http://www.khel.com/worldcup/