[tug-consult] Toward a TeX Live book publishing scheme and website

Lloyd R. prentice lloyd at writersglen.com
Mon Jul 11 23:41:19 CEST 2022

Progress report:

1. Karl Berry has implemented the book publishing scheme. It’s selectable now on the TeX Live installation site. Check with Karl to assure that your must-have book packages are included.
2. We have a domain name for the website:

 texlibro.net

3. Marc Worrell, lead developer of the Erlang Zotonic CMS, has offered to help build the site and to host it.
4. I plan to travel to Amsterdam in October to work with Marc toward launch.

The site will be focused specifically on book design and typography with LaTeX. The intent is to make it as inviting as possible with quick-success, easy to follow and implement, tutorials and how-tos, as well as resources including books and consultant listings.

The goal is to provide an easy path for self-publishers to publish trade-quality books and to help them achieve greater sales success. Our heady ambition is to make this the go-to site for self-publishers who care about the quality of their books.

We welcome submission of tutorials and how-tos on every aspect of book design and formatting with TeX/LaTeX. Among other things, the site will provide an opportunity for TeX consultants to reach into the multi-million population of self-publishers world-wide.

Consider that many, if not most, publishers in this population are unaware of the benefits LaTeX offers or are under the impression that LaTeX is too hard to use as a typesetting option. Our hope is to champion LaTeX as an easy-to-use viable option.

Once the site is up, we’ll need all hands on deck to promote it near and far.

All the best,

Lloyd R. Prentice

Sent from my iPad