[tlu] favicons

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Sat Mar 12 16:51:37 CET 2022

Well, upon receiving you message I launched TLU, which is currently set to use <http://ctan.ijs.si/mirror/tlpretest/> as default repository. This caused four calls for favicons

2022-03-12 15:20:48 +0000 Notice -[TLMFaviconCache downloadIconForURL:delegate:][42202]	Will look for favicon at https://ctan.ijs.si/favicon.ico
2022-03-12 15:20:48 +0000 Notice -[TLMFaviconCache downloadIconForURL:delegate:][42202]	Will look for favicon at https://ctan.ijs.si/favicon.ico
2022-03-12 15:20:48 +0000 Notice -[TLMFaviconCache downloadIconForURL:delegate:][42202]	Will look for favicon at https://ctan.ijs.si/favicon.ico
2022-03-12 15:20:48 +0000 Notice -[TLMFaviconCache downloadIconForURL:delegate:][42202]	Will look for favicon at https://ctan.ijs.si/favicon.ico

whereas (judging by the URL field in TLU's toolbar) ctan.ijs.si doesn't have a favicon. Does this mean the multiple calls are multiple attempts to download the favicon until deciding there's none?

I tried to look at TLMFaviconCache.m to figure out what's happening, but it's definitely not the type of code you can casually look at with no previous experience of programming and expect to understand in a flash! The only thing I noticed is that downloadIconForURL calls downloadItems which includes a FAVICON_TIMEOUT set earlier to 10.0. So maybe it's that.

If you open Configure > Manage Repositories, depending on which continents and countries are "opened" in the list (I don't remember how you call in English these ">" signs -- would be "chevrons" in French -- that open and rotate when you click on them), you'll see lots and lots of favicon requests in TLU's Log. It seems the favicons are requested in groups, and for each group the request is done several times.

Bruno