[tlu] new beta

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Tue Feb 8 15:22:10 CET 2022

> On 8 Feb 2022, at 14:54, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
> I wrote too soon... when making a manual check for updates via the Menu system I still get a dialog box that flashes on the screen for a short time and then the final dialog box with the information about an update not being available.

Same here, when using TeX Live Utility > Check For Updates.

IIRC Adam said this is caused by unintentionally updating the built-in Sparkle framework <https://sparkle-project.org>.

The framework seems to be at version 1.27.1, from November 2021:

% otool -L /Applications/TeX/TeX\ Live\ Utility.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Sparkle
/Applications/TeX/TeX Live Utility.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Sparkle (architecture x86_64):
	@rpath/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Sparkle (compatibility version 1.6.0, current version 1.27.1)
	[...]
/Applications/TeX/TeX Live Utility.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Sparkle (architecture arm64):
	@rpath/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Sparkle (compatibility version 1.6.0, current version 1.27.1)
	[...]

The current version is 2.0, from December 2021 <https://github.com/sparkle-project/Sparkle/releases>. Given the bump in version number, I imagine the changes are extensive.

As I write this, I'm receiving your new message and Adam's answer. Indeed, the first briefly flashing dialog is a progress bar for the update check, then comes the actual dialog with the result of the check.

Bruno