[tlu] new beta

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Wed Feb 2 18:47:43 CET 2022

My favorite part of notifications on iPhone is the frenzied swearing when I touch a button on the screen just as a random notification appears under my finger, and I end up reading a spam email instead of whatever I was trying to accomplish.Notifications on the Mac used to suck less, right after Apple Sherlocked Growl and ripped off a good UI, and the visible buttons were a part of that. They've gradually been turned into poisoned eye candy, much like the rest of the Mac user interface.On Feb 2, 2022, at 9:15 AM, Bruno Voisin via tlu <tlu at tug.org> wrote:On 2 Feb 2022, at 17:42, Adam R. Maxwell via tlu <tlu at tug.org> wrote:If updates are available, it should show a notification thingy (or perhaps request approval to show notifications). The notification has a button you can use to install, although I think on later releases you have to hover over the right spot and hold your mouth just right to see the button.I saw that notification once and then a couple of minutes ago again, but that was minutes after running/Applications/TeX/TeX\ Live\ Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/texliveupdatecheckin Terminal. I can't figure out what is triggering it. At one point I even wondered whether TLU needs to be already open in the background, for the notification to appear.Here (Monterey) you need to hover over the notification (its bottom right corner, exactly) to make a button appear there. You also need to be careful: click in a certain way, so you can see which options the button offer (a kind of pull-down menu). If you click differently (I don't remember exactly what makes the difference), the default action will be selected and performed and the notification will vanish, without leaving you enough time to see what that action exactly was.That's what I hate about notifications, especially on the iPhone: you see a notification appear on the screen, it's too long so you only see part of the content, you enter your code, your fingerprint or get your face recognized so you can access the home screen. But the time you do that, the notification has vanished and nothing seems to be able to bring it back; going to Notifications you can see old ones, but not this one.Generally (speaking of the iPhone, not TLU) I hate notifications of most sorts, and will need to study how Focus works so that I can deactivate most of them.Bruno