[tlu] Monterey and TLU

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Mon Oct 25 21:18:03 CEST 2021

> Le 25 oct. 2021 à 21:04, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> a écrit :
>
> I just updated one of my systems to Monterey (12.0.1!) and, on starting TLU I got a dialog that said it needs to be updated and might not run on future versions of macOS. It seems to run fine (no updates any more today though) after that dialog is dismissed.

I am presently downloading Monterey (and also Xcode 13.1), to see whether the release version is different from the Release Candidate 2 (build A559) which I have through the Public Beta program. I think it's the same.

In that case, then the warning when opening TLU is to tell that TLU uses Python 2 and Apple plans to remove Python 2 in a future release (to replace it with Python 3, or remove Python altogether, is unclear).

The fact is, for the moment it seems Python 2.7 is still provided (in /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7). So the warning can be safely ignored, I think.

Bruno

PS I can't believe Apple has decided, it seems, to remove Time and Courier from macOS and only provide the Microsoft versions Times New Roman and Courier New instead. Times and Courier are still there as .ttc files in /System/Library/Fonts, probably for backwards compatibility, but they're not visible in Font Book any more. I had seen this in the early beta versions of Monterey, though it was a bug, but it seems that's deliberate. Good that TeX provides the URW and TeX Gyre versions, so we don't have to rely on Apple to get Times and Courier!