[tlu] test request

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Wed Feb 3 14:55:58 CET 2021

A disconnected remark: having now a Mac with TouchID, I've got accustomed to authenticate by finger pressing instead of password typing; I must admit it's grown on me (especially since, on a French keyboard, typing a password with uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers and diacritics involves a lot of two- or three-finger contortions).

Sometimes this possibility is offered, sometimes it's not. The TouchID System Pref makes it possible to select the types of authentication for which the possibility is offered. Probably it depends also on the developer having allowed this in their app.

The four checkboxes in System Pref are

Unlocking your Mac
Apple Pay
iTunes Store, App Store & Apple Books
Password AutoFill

All four are checked on my setup. I couldn't figure out exactly, though, for apps and system tasks, which criteria define when password typing is required and when TouchID is offered as an alternative. I couldn't find any logic in it.

TeX Live Utility does not offer to authenticate via TouchID. I imagine only the first checkbox above would apply to it.

All this to say: if it's possible to implement TouchID authentication in TLU, that would be cool. If that's too much hassle, no problem, password typing is fine.

Also, TouchID is only possible when you're using a Mac laptop with Touch ID button. When working with the laptop in clamshell mode on an external screen with BlueTooth keyboard and mouse, that's not an option. And I imagine with iMac and Mac Pro that's not an option either.

Bruno