[tlu] MacTeX without TeX Live and BibDesk

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Sat Apr 25 03:03:42 CEST 2020

> Le 25 avr. 2020 à 02:26, Bianca Kierstein via tlu <tlu at tug.org> a écrit :
>
> Yesterday, I downloaded MacTeX and started working on my dissertation immediately. Unfortunately, I haven't seen that it came without TeX Live and BibDesk until the late evening.
> Is there any possibility to install these two items separately ( so far, I haven’t found a link for TeX Live) and would it even work together or do I need to erase everything and give MacTeX another try?

The procedure to install and links to download these items are given in

/Applications/TeX/MISSING APPS.pdf

So yes, they can and must be installed separately. Quoting from that document:

> • TeX Live Utility https://amaxwell.github.io/tlutility/
> • BibDesk https://bibdesk.sourceforge.io
> • cocoAspell http://people.ict.usc.edu/~leuski/cocoaspell/

They are made to work with MacTeX, so no need to erase and reinstall anything.

Depending on your version of macOS, the first time you launch BibDesk and TeX Live Utility, you may see a warning that the app cannot be verified and must not uninstalled (and no apparent way to bypass the warning and open the app).

Don't panic: do a Right-Click or Ctrl-Click on the app, select Open in the contextual menu that appears. There will still be a warning, but this time it will include an additional Open button allowing you to open the app nonetheless.

(The above indications about the warning and button are approximate translations from the French, the wording may be slighthly different in English.)

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin