[tlu] First Time in a Long Time

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sat Sep 14 18:37:12 CEST 2019

> On Sep 14, 2019, at 05:30 , Bruno Voisin via tlu <tlu at tug.org> wrote:
>
> First I did not understand what you meant by "separate asynchronous threads", but now I get it: reading the list of packages on CTAN's and Norbert's servers are independent tasks carried out in parallel. Yesterday TLU could reach CTAN's server but not Norbert's, hence the wheel that kept spinning. Today TLU can reach both servers, the order in which they appear in the log being immaterial.

Correct. Those tasks are carried out independently, but further tasks cannot proceed until both have completed successfully.

I guess I could wait for a while and then kill the GPG update check if it doesn't succeed. Or maybe tlmgr has a way to configure a timeout if it can't reach a server to list updates?

Adam