[tlu] new beta

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at me.com
Fri Oct 9 05:42:12 CEST 2015

> On Oct 8, 2015, at 00:33 , Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at icloud.com> wrote:
>
>> On 08 Oct 2015, at 06:50, Adam R. Maxwell <amaxwell at me.com <mailto:amaxwell at me.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I've finally released a new beta that uses a more robust way to check TeX Live versions (motivated by the bug in the first release of TL 2015), and also to allow users a quick way to change preferences for El Crapitan.
>>
>> https://github.com/amaxwell/tlutility/releases <https://github.com/amaxwell/tlutility/releases>
>>
>> This is minimally tested, but works for me. Any further testing would be great; I've had no time for TeX stuff lately.
>
> Works OK here, for checking and applying updates. Is there anything special to test?
>
> I can't see what changed in the prefs (being on El Capitan). To be sure, I even made screenshots of the Preferences window in 1.21 and 1.22, they are identical as far as I can see.

It's an alert sheet that resets your pref if you have /usr/texbin. To test that, quit TLU and run

defaults write com.googlecode.mactlmgr.tlu TLMTexBinPathPreferenceKey /usr/texbin

then relaunch. I fixed a few bugs in the case of an otherwise messed up path, too.

> By the way, when selecting Choose, the directory selected by default is /usr (see screenshot). Given the new El Capitan situation, wouldn't it be better that the selection were by default /Library/TeX/texbin if it exists (for people with an updated MacTeX) and /usr/texbin otherwise (for people with an older MacTeX), or the other way round?

The reason it's set to /usr is that it's not visible by default in the usual open panel, so if the user installs in /usr/local via means other than MacTeX, he has to use the cmd-shift-g shortcut in the open panel.

Adam