[tlu] beta with texdist switching

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Sat May 2 21:54:46 CEST 2015

> On May 2, 2015, at 10:57 AM, Adam R. Maxwell <amaxwell at mac.com> wrote:
>

>> On May 1, 2015, at 17:50 , Richard Koch <koch at uoregon.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Adam,
>>
>> I took a closer look at the modified TLU this afternoon, while sitting in an Astoria, Oregon motel.
>> While the current version is close to what I wanted, I recommend two small changes:
>>
>> 	a) When selecting a new distribution, the Security Dialog comes up, and after it quits,
>> 	there is a small delay before the appropriate selection activates. The delay might be
>> 	one or two seconds, but it is noticeable.
>
> I'll think about how to change this. It's a tableview, so just
> loads from its datasource (which is the actual state of the
> symlink). There might be another way around it, but it's not
> just a reordering of code, unfortunately.

I understand. Datasource is the way to go, of course.

>> 	b) This morning I said that you could ignore commands to change between intel32 and intel64
>> 	(whatever they are called). But now I notice that if a user selects intel32 in the old
>> 	Pref Pane, then it will appear as intel32 in your dialog. And there is no way to change the
>> 	item back to intel64 except by going back to the old Pane.
>
> Thanks for making that test, since that's exactly what I expected
> to happen. I'm currently arguing with myself over whether
> to allow changing the architecture, or just hiding it from
> the user (i.e., removing that table column). If no one knows
> that it exists, we might all be happier!
>
> The architecture-changing is a transient thing, as I see it; in
> another 10-15 years, I assume MacTeX will finally drop support
> for PPC and 32-bit Intel, right? :-)

I suspect you are I are ready to vote for x86_64 bit only right now.

I compile on two machines. One runs PPC Leopard and one runs
Intel Lepard and Intel SnowLeopard. I always start the PPC machine
first, because I know that both intel partition systems will complete the
compile of TeX Live before the PPC machine is done.