[tlu] beta with texdist switching

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Sat May 2 02:50:35 CEST 2015

Adam,

> On May 1, 2015, at 6:06 AM, Adam R. Maxwell <amaxwell at mac.com> wrote:
>

>> On May 1, 2015, at 0:26, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at icloud.com> wrote:
>>
>> Also, still regarding the architecture, TLU doesn't seem to offer the choice between the two installed architectures (x86_64-darwin and universal-darwin), it only displays x86_64-darwin.
>
> Correct; it only displays the option that the MacTeX installer set as default. The intent is to allow changing arch, but I may decide it's not worth it. I know I've never needed it.
>
> thanks,
> Adam

I took a closer look at the modified TLU this afternoon, while sitting in an Astoria, Oregon motel.
While the current version is close to what I wanted, I recommend two small changes:

	a) When selecting a new distribution, the Security Dialog comes up, and after it quits,
	there is a small delay before the appropriate selection activates. The delay might be
	one or two seconds, but it is noticeable. I wonder if you could remove this apparent
	delay by just changing the order of some lines of code. Namely, as soon as the user
	clicks a choice, select it. Then bring up the security dialog. Then if the user cancels
	the dialog, change the button back. This will take exactly the same time, but seem
	faster to the user.

	b) This morning I said that you could ignore commands to change between intel32 and intel64
	(whatever they are called). But now I notice that if a user selects intel32 in the old
	Pref Pane, then it will appear as intel32 in your dialog. And there is no way to change the
	item back to intel64 except by going back to the old Pane. This gives the impression that
	in your dialog, you can get stuck in the “wrong mode” and there’s no way back.

	So if possible, I’d recommend activating the ability to switch between intel32 and intel64.

	In fact, I don’t think users will notice a difference. So you’d be be providing the extra
	command just to make users feel better. (Indeed, you might want to introduce buttons,
	but not actually hook them up !!##$).

	When Apple finally got rid of Rosetta, we discovered that several Intel users had been
	running the PPC version of TeX. They said “it seemed fast enough to me.”

Dick