[tlu] Thank you and a note.

Edward Thome ethome at murraystate.edu
Thu Jan 15 21:56:34 CET 2015

Hello.

First of all, thank you very much for the TeXLive Utility and all you do
to maintain it.

Secondly, I circumvented a problem I had on one computer and I thought
that I'd report it.

On a 2012 MacBook Pro, TeXLive Utility worked fine through Mavericks and
Yosemite (and it still does work).
On a 2008 iMac, it used to work well until perhaps I updated to
Mavericks (or was it Yosemite).  At that point I received "Listing
Failed" no matter what I did.  It told me that I was running TeXLive
2014 but it was unsure of the version in the repository. This was true
even if the same repository was used for the MacBook Pro, which was also
running TeXLive 2014 and then Mavericks and then Yosemite.

Reading the log files on the iMac it identified the existence of a
launchd file
2015-01-15 18:09:58 +0000 Notice +[TLMEnvironment
_ensureSaneEnvironment][17977]	*** WARNING *** User has
/etc/launchd.conf file

which I noted that the other MacBook Pro did not have.  It was a
Google-related file, and I'd removed all automatic updating some time
back, so I moved this launchd file aside.  I ran TeX Live Utility again
and received another "Listing Failed".
Looking at the log file again, I noticed a syntax error at
TeX Live Utility/Contents/MacOS/parse_tipdb.py in line 368 with
    except OSError as e:

I changed that line to

    except (OSError, ValueError), e:

and tried again.  This time I got yet another "Listing Failed" but a
different error report regarding line 46 of the same file:
	import io

I changed that to

import os

and everything worked.

I operate seat-of-the-pants style, armed with only two programming
courses (just enough to be dangerous).  So I was fortunate that it
worked. It doesn't make sense to me that Tex Live Utility would work on
one computer and not on the other, but I thought that I would follow
errors and see what I could do.

[Now updating 480 MB of TeXLive files.  :-)  ]

Thank you,
Ed Thome
PS:  I wrote an AppleScript that will create 4 playlists containing all
your music in iTunes ranked in order of their play frequency.  The
playlists have the first quartile, second quartile, third quartile, and
fourth quartile.  There is some other information output as well (mean
play frequency, the quartiles, how many songs rated by each *, etc).
I'll send it to you if you're interested.