[tlu] Yosemite workaround

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Wed Oct 1 16:08:48 CEST 2014

> On 01 Oct 2014, at 15:44, Adam R. Maxwell <amaxwell at mac.com> wrote:
>
> Fortunately, I have my handy-dandy test program in my dock, and I can assure you that the problem is not fixed in 14A379a.
>
> =====
>
> […]
>
> /bin/bash -c 'echo $PATH' output:
>
> /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
>
> ======
>
> Still lots of duplicate environment variables, and subprocess shells have the wrong path.

Trying this here in Terminal:

$ bash -c 'echo $PATH'
/Users/brunovoisin/Library/TeX/LocalTeX/texbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin:/usr/texbin

which points to a significant change: /usr/local/bin comes now first in the default path.

Checking with Time Machine backups, it seems that Yosemite Public Beta 2 (installed here on September 6) changed the content of /etc/paths, from

/usr/bin
/bin
/usr/sbin
/sbin
/usr/local/bin

/usr/local/bin
/usr/bin
/bin
/usr/sbin
/sbin

I have no idea why. Probably will have consequences for Homebrew users. Because of the potential implications for MacTeX’s Ghostscript (hopefully none), I’m cc’ing the MacTeX list.

Bruno