[tlu] Yosemite workaround

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Wed Aug 6 21:40:38 CEST 2014

Le 6 août 2014 à 19:48, Adam R. Maxwell <amaxwell at mac.com> a écrit :

> I'm a bit puzzled by the duplicate lines in TLU's output.

Dick's first report had

PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Users/koch/Library/TeX/LocalTeX/texbin
USER=koch
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
LOGNAME=koch

which seems to imply PATH was resolved twice, first as USER with result as provided by /usr/libexec/path_helper, then as LOGNAME with minimal (hardcoded) result /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin. If the second takes precedence, then no surprise updmap-sys isn't found.

But then Dick's second report the fuller PATh coming second, not first.

And finally Dick's third result (arriving as I write this), with TLU launched through the command line not through the GUI, has LOGNAME only not USER, and only the fuller PATH.

Not sure this all makes sense! (And once again I find myself writing about things I don't really know...)

Could this be linked with the shell configuration files that the Local TeX pref pane, which Dick is using, creates as described in Dick's TUG preprint <http://tug.org/tug2014/booklet/koch/Tugboat-MacTeX-TeXShopDesign.pdf>? Its §5 seems to say that ~/.bash_profile, or ~/.bash_login, or ~/.profile, should contain

# Added by LocalTeX Preference Pane
export PATH="/Users/koch/Library/TeX/LocalTeX/texbin":$PATH

either by pressing the ”Configure for Local Pane” button of the pref pane, or manually editing the files.

This is probably irrelevant though, as the original poster reporting this problem (ie updmap-sys not being found by TLU) had not the Local TeX pref pane IIRC.

Bruno