[tldistro] is cm-super installed in default/small texlive distro installs?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Sep 30 08:50:44 CEST 2022

Hello,

In some relatively common settings, having the cm-super fonts installed
allows to have scalable fonts instead of bitmap fonts in TeX/LaTeX output.
In general they look better on screen, and they are needed for some
packages in some cases, for instance microtype.  They are relatively
bulky, though.

So, I have a question for you, texlive packagers: are dependencies set
up such that cm-super is likely to be installed (could be a dependency
or a suggested dependency if suggested dependencies are likely to be
installed) if a reasonably functional LaTeX set of binaries/packages are
installed?

We already have the answer for Debian, cm-super is not installed in the
default case, and it could change in the future (the issue was raised on
the bug-texinfo list and Norbert is considering changes).  I had a look
at a Red Hat based distribution corresponding to version 8, and it seems
that texlive-cm-super will always be installed as it is required by
basic TeX packages.

The motivation for that questions is that for Texinfo TeX output, and
for the upcoming LaTeX generated from Texinfo code by texi2any, we
wanted to use microtype, and whether we set it on in the default case
and/or how we document it in line with the cm-super fonts being
installed or not could benefit from the information I asked.

--
Pat