[tldistro] unexpected return value from verify_checksum: -5

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Mon Feb 1 09:53:50 CET 2021

Sorry I'm not sure I understand what you mean by using a fixed date,
and use the installer and the installation source.

But as an example to clarify my own point (which was perhaps also not clear),
suppose the new server is deployed and has a package:

# pkg list texlive
NAME (PUBLISHER)                                  VERSION                    IFO
meta-packages/texlive (userland)                  1.0.0-2020.0.1.0           i--

When the server boots, it can run a "firstboot" script, which is a script to be ran on initial first boot.

In this case version 1.0.0 of texlive (the installer) contains the installer scripts :

/usr/share/install-tl-20210128/

# ./install-tl --profile latex.profile
 Automated TeX Live installation using profile: latex.profile

So this installs from TLnet the current packages - it installs from "install-tl" and NOT by the native package manager (IPS).

At the end of the install the server is booted up and contains the OS + LaTeX from TeX Live

# tlmgr --version
tlmgr revision 57424 (2021-01-15 03:30:58 +0100)
tlmgr using installation: /usr/texlive/2020
TeX Live (https://tug.org/texlive) version 2020

and because the installer has ran during the firstboot, TeX itself is also installed (by install-tl) :

# tex --version
TeX 3.14159265 (TeX Live 2020)
kpathsea version 6.3.2
Copyright 2020 D.E. Knuth.

Now because this is the current version,

# tlmgr update --all
tlmgr: package repository https://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/software/tex/systems/texlive/tlnet (verified)
tlmgr: saving backups to /usr/texlive/2020/tlpkg/backups
tlmgr: no updates available

So it makes a backup under tlpkg/backups and checks updates and decide it doesn't have to do anything.

After reading the help some more, I think it is NOT possible to downgrade to a specific TeX Live release.

So you can only upgrade,  to the latest version.

If this is the case, I am thinking that the only solution could be to run during first boot:

# ./install-tl --profile latex.profile (or whatever profile is required)

and then via CRON script from time to time update

# tlmgr update --all

so that all servers have the same release (which is the latest release).

This is because - unless I misunderstand - neither install-tl nor tlmgr update has a switch to install from a specific URL or version.

Anyway as I already said a few times, I like the TLMGR script , it's a nice package.

Regards,
David Stes