[tldistro] unexpected return value from verify_checksum: -5

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Sun Jan 31 08:26:06 CET 2021

Hi

Basically the reasoning behind packaging the "installer" instead of TeX itself is:

  1. deploy / kickstart an operating system
  2. make sure the TeX installer is in the kickstart / image
  3. on firstboot run install-tl --profile some.profile

This means that if you deploy for example 10 servers,
when you deploy them they have the necessary OS and the install-tl package installed.

Then on firstboot when the machine/OS boots for the first time,
it will run:

   install-tl --profile some.profile

Now in order to make sure that all 10 servers are identical,
it would be nice if they installed the same TeX version.

For example if server A is booted in march 2021 and server B in may 2021,
and server C in august perhaps server D in januari 2022,

It would be nice if they all installed the same release TeXLive 2020.

>From your answer below I deduce that it may work, if you use a specific URL,
for example pointing to a specific tlnet-final archive.

I'll give it a try.

The idea is to kickstart / deploy multiple servers with exact the same TeX release.

Thanks,
David Stes