[tldistro] archive of numbered releases of install-tl-unx.tar.gz

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Fri Jan 29 08:08:35 CET 2021

Hi,

The install-tl-unx.tar.gz contains the install-tl Perl script for TeX Live.

I have created an IPS pkg - Image Packaging System package for install-tl-unx.tar.gz.

IPS is used on a OpenSolaris systems such as Oracle Sun Solaris 11.x,
OpenIndiana, OmniOS, SmartOS and a few others.

Currently in order to package install-tl-unx.tar.gz I use as a source:

COMPONENT_NAME=		texlive
COMPONENT_FMRI=		meta-packages/texlive
COMPONENT_VERSION=	1.0
COMPONENT_REVISION=	1
COMPONENT_SUMMARY=	Metapackage for the TeX typesetting system
COMPONENT_CLASSIFICATION=	Meta Packages/Builds
COMPONENT_SRC=          install-tl-20210128
COMPONENT_ARCHIVE=      install-tl-unx.tar.gz
CTAN_URL=               http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive
COMPONENT_PROJECT_URL=  https://tug.org/texlive/
COMPONENT_ARCHIVE_URL=  $(CTAN_URL)/tlnet/$(COMPONENT_ARCHIVE)
COMPONENT_LICENSE=      TL
COMPONENT_LICENSE_FILE= LICENSE.TL

Note first of all that the version is something that I made up myself 1.0.

Is there an official triplet version for install-tl-unx.tar.gz ?

The triplet number could be something like 2021.01.28 for this version (given the date).

Something like  install-tl-3.2.1.tar.gz  ? instead of the unnumbered "unx" suffix ?

Next question is whether there exists an archive of older install-tl-unx.tar.gz releases.

Suppose for example that the current version is install-tl-3.2.1.tar.gz,
and the next release is install-tl-3.3.1.tar.gz,
is there an archive of all of those install-tl tarballs please ?

It would be very useful if the older releases were kept around.

The reason is that it is then easy to download old SHA hashfiles and contents,
of the older releases.

The disadvantage of the current scheme is that only the latest version seems to be stored in

http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet

Perhaps the older versions can be retrieved by SVN revision from subversion (SVN),
but I'd prefer a simple tarball for easy download without a svn client.

Also note the COMPONENT_SRC which is install-tl-20210128.

Isn't it easier to have a source directory name install-tl without suffix ?

Finally a thought on a bin directory.  Currently I have packaged the files to be installed in

/usr/share/install-tl

which results in a file

/usr/share/install-tl/install-tl

to run the installer for TeX Live.

However,  it would be nice if the install-tl-unx.tar.gz directories were installable in /usr under bin,lib,share etc.

Then you'd end up with a file:

 /usr/bin/install-tl

 /usr/lib/install-tl/tlpkg/...

Thanks,