[tldistro] texlive 2009 package for Slackware

Robby Workman rworkman at slackware.com
Mon Nov 16 03:54:01 CET 2009

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009, Karl Berry wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
>    1. All executables, i.e. the files from the "inst/bin" folder under
>    /usr/share/texmf/bin
>
> Just mv inst/bin/* to your target dir.  (Ignore the rest of inst/.)
>
>    2. The contents of all folders named "texmf" under a single "texmf"
>    folder: /usr/share/texmf
>
>    3. The contents of all folders named "texmf-dist" under a single
>    "texmf-dist" folder: /usr/share/texmf-dist
>
> As you've discovered, that is a pain.  How about:
>
> /usr/share/texmf/
>                 bin/
>                 texmf/
>                 texmf-dist/

Yes, definitely - that's what I ended up doing :)

>    chroot . /usr/share/texmf/bin/mktexlsr
>    chroot . /usr/share/texmf/bin/fmtutil-sys --all
>    chroot . /usr/share/texmf/bin/updmap-sys --syncwithtrees
>
> I don't know about the chroot, but that seems ok.

The "chroot . " is irrelevant to TeXLive - it's required by the
package utilities for the occasions on which someone wants to
install a package into an alternate / -- i.e. the postinstall
script is run from that alternate /, so we cd there first, and
then chroot into that directory before running the postinstall
commands, and then anything generated by those commands will be
in the correct filesystem rather than the running filesystem.

> You'll also want to create language.dat and language.def, and
> possibly set the paper size -- before making formats.
>
> You can set the paper size with texconfig paper letter, but I think the
> only way we have to make the language files is tlmgr generate language.

Those are really user-specific stuff though, right - IOW, not
something that installation process should handle?

-RW