[tldistro] texlive 2009 package for Slackware

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Nov 15 20:32:56 CET 2009

Hi Martin,

    1. All executables, i.e. the files from the "inst/bin" folder under
    /usr/share/texmf/bin

Just mv inst/bin/* to your target dir.  (Ignore the rest of inst/.)

    2. The contents of all folders named "texmf" under a single "texmf"
    folder: /usr/share/texmf

    3. The contents of all folders named "texmf-dist" under a single
    "texmf-dist" folder: /usr/share/texmf-dist

As you've discovered, that is a pain.  How about:

/usr/share/texmf/
                 bin/
                 texmf/
                 texmf-dist/

That is how we distribute it ourselves, so the symlinks should be ok.

    this by setting environmental variables

You don't want to set environment variables to control the installation;
edit texmf.cnf instead.  Although the ideal would be to make no changes
to the distributed texmf.cnf.  And with the above structure, I think you
would not have to (unlike Debian et al., which merge everything into
their main directories).

    chroot . /usr/share/texmf/bin/mktexlsr
    chroot . /usr/share/texmf/bin/fmtutil-sys --all
    chroot . /usr/share/texmf/bin/updmap-sys --syncwithtrees

I don't know about the chroot, but that seems ok.  You'll also want to
create language.dat and language.def, and possibly set the paper size --
before making formats.

You can set the paper size with texconfig paper letter, but I think the
only way we have to make the language files is tlmgr generate language.

Hope this helps,
Karl