[tldistro] How to get tlmgr work when build from source?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Oct 1 22:40:31 CEST 2009

Hi Grissiom,

    no tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb,  tlpkg/texlive.profile, tlpkg/tlpobj/*,

These are all created as part of the installation (e.g., by install-tl)
according to user choices, so they can't be included in the tarballs.

     tlpkg/tlpostcode/* as well. How could I generate them or get them?

Omitting tlpostcode was a mistake; will include tonight.

In general, though, my assumption was that people who want to use tlmgr
would not install TL via the tarballs; it's more for people who want to
get the TL sources that way but have their own packaging mechanisms.
That's why they are split up that way.

If what you want is a functional TL distribution, at present you should
use install-tl over the net or download the ISO.  We have a vague theory
about merging install-tl and tlmgr, which would make your scenario more
feasible to support.

Best,
Karl