[tldistro] libxpdf vs poppler

Alexis Ballier aballier at gentoo.org
Wed Apr 30 21:18:50 CEST 2008

Hi,

> >  It hacks in the new interface with #defines to directly use
> > poppler's classes instead of wrapping them. I'm not sure if that's
> > the best idea ever... but this avoids lots of #if for GString vs
> > GooString
>
> I'd highly prefer a version without those #defines, but I understand
> that's much easier.

Fully agreed, these defines are ugly ;)

What would you prefer ?
- #if's for each change in pdflib.h (what I started to do but found
that it would be more ugly than the defines)
- big #if for poppler interface vs xpdf interface
- move the functions out of pdflib.h to pdflib.cc, leave just the
prototypes in the .h and define poppler & xpdf bindings in the .cc.
- anything else ?

> But you also must patch getPDFlibName and

fixed

> getPDFLibVersion in pdflib.cc;

well... poppler-config.h has xpdfVersion but doesnt seem to have a
popplerVersion.

> Is the --with-poppler flag enough or do we also need a
> --with-poppler-dir?

This can be useful if poppler is installed in a non standard directory
or if someone wants to statically link to a bundled version. Perhaps
this could be used to remove the 'poppler/' prefix to all included
headers (though I believe the standard way to use poppler is to
include <poppler/myheader.h>). Anyway, I've updated the checks for
poppler to something (imho) more sane with the with-poppler-include and
with-poppler-libdir options.

(split) patches enclosed for reference

Regards,

Alexis.