[tldistro] TL2008 tarball distribution

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Mar 9 23:17:25 CET 2008

    it's probably not needed to have the binaries in the tarball.

Makes sense.  I just got confused by the name.

    One thing that would be cool for me would be if the .zip's (or any
    other compression format) of ctan packages had "texlive-$version" in

I can't quite see that happening, but I'll think about it.

    url to ftp://tug.org/texlive/Contents/inst/archive instead of renaming
    them locally, copying them on our mirrors and then point only to our

Well, I'm glad you're using your own mirrors :).  We actually must not
ever make tug.org the primary download source for *users*, we would
quickly exhaust the patience and bandwidth of our host university.  I
haven't yet worked out the details or the implementation, but my general
plan this year is for the packages to be available on CTAN (like MiKTeX
is), and thus be able to make use of the CTAN mirrors.

    http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/tex/

Thanks.

Best,