[tldistro] TL2008 tarball distribution

Alexis Ballier aballier at gentoo.org
Sun Mar 9 13:53:21 CET 2008

Hi,

>     A folder on the ftp server containing folders of texlive
> releases. In
>
> Past releases are already at ftp://tug.org/historic/systems/texlive
> (by year).  I won't be duplicating those files.  What will work best
> for me is to have the current release under ftp://tug.org/texlive, as
> it's always been, and past releases under /historic/.  Doing anything
> else means more work for CTAN and others.
>
>     tl-bin-src-2008.tbz2
>     tl-texmf-2008.tbz2
>
> And what is in each of these?  tl-texmf is all the Master/texmf*
> trees and tl-bin-src is the Master/bin + Build/source trees?

+1 for these ones; and it's probably not needed to have the binaries in
the tarball. The only thing which is important for me is that the
taball's name is unique for tl and a given tl version.
For 2007 I've been using a good bunch of makefiles to rename everything
and create the ebuilds (our packaging system here) based on texlive's
collections.
One thing that would be cool for me would be if the .zip's (or any
other compression format) of ctan packages had "texlive-$version" in
their name or something like that. That way I could point the upstream
url to ftp://tug.org/texlive/Contents/inst/archive instead of renaming
them locally, copying them on our mirrors and then point only to our
mirrors.

lzma seems a good idea too; I've not searched for comparisons between
the various possible formats but recently some projects have been
switching to lzma for their releases; that is probably a good sign.

PS for Karl:
our (almost empty) TeX project page is here:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/tex/
or if you want something more specific to texlive:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/tex/texlive-migration-guide.xml
this is more a technical doc on how to go from another TeX distribution
to tl 2007 and new users shouldn't need to read it.

Regards,

Alexis.