[tldistro] TL2008 tarball distribution

Edd Barrett vext01 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 12:29:25 CET 2008

Hi Karl,

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
> (Steven, do you want to be on this list?)
>

>     A folder on the ftp server containing folders of texlive releases. In
>
>  Past releases are already at ftp://tug.org/historic/systems/texlive (by
>  year).  I won't be duplicating those files.  What will work best for me
>  is to have the current release under ftp://tug.org/texlive, as it's
>  always been, and past releases under /historic/.  Doing anything else
>  means more work for CTAN and others.

ok, does the current release also go in historic? I see 2007 is there.

If not, I think I can get around breakage over time by having multiple
fetch locations in the port. Might want to check other packaging
systems. I don't know how they could deal with the file moving later.

>     tl-bin-src-2008.tbz2
>     tl-texmf-2008.tbz2
>
>  And what is in each of these?  tl-texmf is all the Master/texmf* trees

Yup.

>  and
>  tl-bin-src is the Master/bin + Build/source trees?

It was basically what I know as source.tar.bz2 from previous releases.

>     tbz2
>
>  Since lzma compresses better and decompresses faster than bz2, I plan to
>  use lzma this year.  http://tukaani.org/lzma/download has tools for
>  anyone who doesn't know already.

No problem! I just checked and we do have a port :)

Thanks for the response.

--

Best Regards

Edd