[tldistro] TL2008 tarball distribution

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Mar 9 01:10:18 CET 2008

(Steven, do you want to be on this list?)

    A folder on the ftp server containing folders of texlive releases. In

Past releases are already at ftp://tug.org/historic/systems/texlive (by
year).  I won't be duplicating those files.  What will work best for me
is to have the current release under ftp://tug.org/texlive, as it's
always been, and past releases under /historic/.  Doing anything else
means more work for CTAN and others.

    tl-bin-src-2008.tbz2
    tl-texmf-2008.tbz2

And what is in each of these?  tl-texmf is all the Master/texmf* trees and
tl-bin-src is the Master/bin + Build/source trees?

    tbz2

Since lzma compresses better and decompresses faster than bz2, I plan to
use lzma this year.  http://tukaani.org/lzma/download has tools for
anyone who doesn't know already.

    Release version numbers on distfiles are very important to us,

Agreed.

    Would it be a problem to have the archive create a dir
    'tl-bin-src-2008' in which is has it's contents?

It's kind of a pain in this case, but it should do so, I agree.

    PS. Karl, my tl distro page for your distro page is:
    http://students.dec.bmth.ac.uk/ebarrett/texlive/

Thanks.

    (There will be downtime on my site on monday as I slide the new web
    server into the racking :P

Good luck.