[tlbuild] linked scripts when script names only differ by their extensions

Robert Alessi alessi at robertalessi.net
Mon Mar 18 18:42:23 CET 2024

Hi Karl,

On Sun, Mar 17, 2024 at 03:01:04PM -0600, Karl Berry wrote:
> If I had it do over, I would have asked for those scripts not to be
> named with an extension. They have created special cases everywhere in
> the system. But it doesn't seem worth changing now that it's all
> (hopefully :) done.

Thank you, I've seen the exception in Makefile.am. In fact, as I
suspected that something was amiss in OpenBSD, I was thinking of
preparing an update utility from scripts.lst the rationale of which
would have been to strip all the executables except the duplicates
which differ only by their extensions.  But would it have been
advisable?  I wonder, but I don't think so, TL seems to sprout up like
the branches of a tree!

>     I just installed TL24 on Devuan and all 4 symlinks
>     have been created.  Why?
>
> Because I build the final images from exactly what is in Master/, and I
> don't routinely overwrite Master/ with the result of a make install in
> Build. Whereas you (and distros) do use the result of make install as
> the basis for the binaries. One of those things ...

> The symlinks in Master are created more or less the result of importing
> from CTAN, done by scripts under tlpkg/ (in the repo, not
> installations), a completely different process than make install. -k

Ok, I get it now, thank you!

-- Robert