[tlbuild] running TL24 pretest on OpenBSD

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Wed Feb 21 06:45:52 CET 2024

Hi Karl, hi Robert!

On Tue, 20 Feb 2024, Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Robert!
>
>     running eg. x.y at the time when x.(y+2)
>     has been released is fine, and I know quite a
>     number of people who are doing this.
>
> I didn't know that. That seemingly makes it sensible for us to include
> openbsd binaries in our upstream TL, for the benefit of such

I agree with that.

>     the binaries with the version number in the name ("openbsd7.4"
>
> Good thought.

I also think that this would be better in principle, but it creates a few problems with
updates, though:
	TL2024	openbsd7.4
	TL2025	openbsd7.6
are different archs, so updating in place will not work out of the box.

So I am somehow torn what would be better.

> Makes me think maybe the better answer is to link to binary sets on
> https://tug.org/texlive/custom-bin.html and let users do it that way,
> instead of incorporating them in TL directly. --thanks, karl.

It feels a bit second-class citizen, though.

Best regards

Norbert

arXiv / Cornell University   +   IFMGA Guide   +   TU Wien  +  TeX Live