[tlbuild] running TL24 pretest on OpenBSD

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Feb 20 23:52:10 CET 2024

Hi Robert!

    running eg. x.y at the time when x.(y+2)
    has been released is fine, and I know quite a
    number of people who are doing this.

I didn't know that. That seemingly makes it sensible for us to include
openbsd binaries in our upstream TL, for the benefit of such
people. There is little cost to it, anyway, as long as TL includes only
one set of binaries for openbsd as for any other platform.  (It would
create too many special cases to have binaries for multiple OS
versions.)

Especially if you will answer user questions about it :).

    then it would suffice to clearly warn users not to

To my knowledge, there's no way to "clearly warn" users about anything.

I mean, I can put an item in the release notes and/or the documentation
and/or even have the installer output a special message if openbsd
binaries are installed, but in my experience many people will not ever
see/pay attention to any message, regardless. The first they will know
of a problem is when they update openbsd and tex breaks.

    a kind soul could provide *external* help say every
    six months, something like:
              # i_broke_tl_please_fetch_updated_binaries.sh
    At any rate, I would then gladly extend my services as a kind soul!

As long as you're doing all the work for this external help :), that
sounds perfect. Then there will be an easy way for the people who update
their openbsd to recover.

So ... shall we give it a try? Norbert, all, wdyt? --thanks, karl.