[tlbuild] Some issues building asy

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Mar 23 22:01:59 CET 2023

Hi Angelo,

    ./configure --prefix=/tmp/asyinst --enable-texlive-build \
      ../asy -dir ../base string/*.asy
    Cannot execute kpsewhich
    So the question is: Should I redefine in the script the PATH to
    include tlsource/inst/BINARIES or it is better to install first
    TL2023 using the custom binaries just built?

Good question :).

asy uses kpsewhich to determine where to look up its files; this is what
the --enable-texlive-build configure option means (for asy).

I guess installing the full tl23 so that asy finds the kpsewhich
relative to its support files would work.

If that's inconvenient, I think it would also work to point to the
inst/BINDIR and then set the envvar TEXMFMAIN to /tmp/asyinst (or
something like that), since the asy support files are not being
installed in the inst/ tree.

Another option would be to tell the asy configure --prefix=.../inst/
and then setting TEXMFMAIN shouldn't be necessary. I think?
There's no harm in installing the asy support files in the inst tree.

I confess I've never actually run the asy make check myself, so I
haven't investigated these options. Hope something flies. --best, karl.