[tlbuild] one more time

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Mar 11 16:53:34 CET 2023

Last-minute dvisvgm patch to handle communication with mupdf (per below).
Seemed important enough to do now instead of waiting. Please rebuild.
--sorry/thanks, karl.

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 14:43:37 +0100
To: Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org>
From: Martin Gieseking <martin.gieseking at uos.de>

the recent release fixes a bug that prevents the proper processing of
PDF files via dvisvgm's new mutool-based PDF handler. The issue was
reported by Bruno Voisin and occurred on a Mac only [1]. I wasn't able
to reproduce it on Linux, but that could just be a happy coincidence
since the affected code was indeed buggy.

As long as Ghostscript < 10.01.0 is present on the user's system, this
isn't a big issue because the recent GS versions still come with the old
PDF interpreter. As soon as GS 10.01.0 is used, dvisvgm needs its new
PDF handler working. Otherwise, PDF files can't be processed.

That's the situation. I can't estimate how many TeX Live users would
actually be affected by the bug. If you prefer to keep the current state
of TL, that's fine from my end. In case there are special TL
distributions that also provide the GS library, they maybe should
consider keeping the recent GS version or apply patch [2] locally.

Best,
Martin

[1] https://github.com/mgieseki/dvisvgm/issues/232
[2] https://github.com/mgieseki/dvisvgm/commit/f0ab3d07c942acc1d3fd0d8b94498a355fa92d6c.patch