[tlbuild] MacOS scripting languages (was: Re: Broken shebangs in TeX Live scripts)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Wed Apr 13 21:10:28 CEST 2022

> On 13 Apr 2022, at 20:17, Siep Kroonenberg <siepo at bitmuis.nl> wrote:
>
> Windows versions of perl, of required perl modules and of Tcl/Tk are
> built separately. This is explained in
> <TLroot>/source/tlperl/tlperl.README and
> <TLroot>/source/tlgui/tltcl/tltcl.README.

Thanks for the pointers, your descriptions of the build process are very detailed and practical. Adaptation to the Mac will require some work, but that's a wonderful starting point!

So far I've been able to built Tcl/Tk (so as to get a Wish that works on Monterey) by downloading the Tcl and Tk sources, unpacking them into a directory, cd'ing to that directory then

% make -C tcl8.6.12/macosx deploy MANDIR=/usr/local/share/man
% sudo make -C tcl8.6.12/macosx install-deploy INSTALL_MANPAGES=1 NATIVE_TCLSH=`pwd`/build/tcl/tclsh8.6

% make -C tk8.6.12/macosx deploy MANDIR=/usr/local/share/man
% sudo make -C tk8.6.12/macosx install-deploy INSTALL_MANPAGES=1

This produces a macOS-style install, with elements inside /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework and so forth. For a TeX Live-embedded Tcl/Tk the Unix way with configure and make would be better, last I tried it installed everything the usual way inside /usr/local.

Things work exactly the same with 8.7a5.

I've never tried to compile Perl, that will be a challenge!

We should know more in July, about a month after the next WWDC, when the public beta of the next macOS will become available.

Thanks again,

Bruno