[tlbuild] tlmgr/install-tl bug: running out of disk space

Johannes Hielscher jhielscher at posteo.de
Tue Mar 15 01:01:25 CET 2022

Am Tue, 15 Mar 2022 08:19:03 +0900
schrieb Norbert Preining <norbert at preining.info>:

> > an interesting “solution”: I got the Net::LWP Perl package with
> > HTTPS support. Now things run five times faster (by ETA prediction
> > as well as
>
> Yes, that is the reason why Net::LWP is the preferred and first tried
> download methods ;-)
> curl/wget are only fallbacks and are rather slow and put a lot of
> burden on the servers.
>
> > Anyway, I strongly recommend to more aggressively advertise
> > Net::LWP as a soft prerequisite/recommendation for any major tlmgr
> > action.
>
> Any suggestion how to "aggressively advertise"? Should we put out a
> warning if loading Net::LWP didn't work and tell the user of
> install-tl/tlmgr to install it?

Karl's pretest announcement mail (some 2 hours ago) would have been a
good opportunity :-/

Then, some sentence/paragraph added to [0], in the spirit of:

“If available, tlmgr and install-tl takes great advantage of the
Net::LWP Perl package. We recommend to obtain it (by the means of your
OS/distribution, or CPAN). Expect a substantial speed-up of the
download/installation process, especially in network-limited
scenarios.”

I can't predict into how much detail of the installation process
we shall go here. Is there Net::LWP for Windows (with the same
benefits?), and how would one typically obtain it?

[0]
https://tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html
https://tug.org/texlive/pretest.html