[tlbuild] tlmgr/install-tl bug: running out of disk space

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Sat Mar 5 15:25:53 CET 2022

Hi,

> Writing a universal spare-space system is fraught with difficulties,
> especially when we have to make it work cross-platform.
> Accuracy/pleasing everybody/...?

We don't turn our heads a lot. We check whether
	df -P .
can be used, and if it works, we use it to determine the free space.
(seting POSIXLY_CORRECT=1 for GNU df which is not POSIX compliant).

Anything else, in particular Windows, will have to live without space
computations for the moment.

> Maybe use a reasonable measure and warn the installer. If you have a

We terminate/inhibit the installation when
	required space + 100M < free space
as a wild guess.

No other guessing is done.

> Then there's the behavior on fail to write, like when the filesystem
> refuses. It's all very well saying Ctl-Z etc, but can't control remain
> within the user interface?

Not really trivial in the current setup.

Best

Norbert

Fujitsu Research     +    IFMGA Guide     +    TU Wien    +    TeX Live