[tlbuild] tlmgr/install-tl bug: running out of disk space

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 13:34:39 CET 2022

On Thu, 3 Mar 2022 at 19:11, Norbert Preining <norbert at preining.info> wrote:

> Hi Johannes,
>
> > pretest server) on a too small drive, that ran out of space amidst
> > installation.
>
> We are aware of that, yes. And we don't deal with it at all at the
> moment.
>
> > I don't know which heuristics apply to decide for retrying. Apparently
> > they are not clever enough to distinguish a failure of TLUtils::untar
> > due to a full target device, from a shaky internet connection. It is
>
> Any failure will be treated as reason to retry. It could be a corrupted
> download so that unxz does not work, or whatever reason.
>
> > also debatable which behaviour to expect in the case of running out of
>
> Right, it is not clear what to do in this case.
>
> And honestly, I have seen similar things with dpkg/apt and any other
> package manager. If you run out of space, you are hosed.

Filling up storage and continuing to hammer it with added processing
that will fail is hard on the media and can reduce performance or even
result in a corrupt filesystem when cached metadata can't be saved.  I have
encountered systems that become read-only for users when a disk hits
some capacity threshold, typically 85%.   For TL installs, it would be
reasonable (and helpful) to warn users if the targeted storage is more than
85 or 90% full.

--
George N. White III