[tlbuild] dvi test?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Sun Jan 30 19:21:51 CET 2022

> Le 30 janv. 2022 à 18:56, Richard Koch <koch at uoregon.edu> a écrit :
>
> I decided to see if I could pare down John's example. I reached the following. The sample below produces a crash. But if the bottom comment is moved in by one so the last word is "e" rather than "el", then there is no crash. I couldn't get rid of the draft copy or the \sc a.

I can reproduce this here (macOS 12.3 Monterey): with your file, using "xdvi -debug 34 -noghostscript", I get, after pressing R,

   0    0 SETCHAR0
xdvi-xaw: set_no_char: attempt to set character of unknown font, offset 42
xdvi-xaw 22.87.04 (Xaw toolkit): ../../../texk/xdvik/dvi-draw.c:488: Shouldn't happen: I'll abort now, to help you debugging this.
zsh: abort      xdvi -debug 34 -noghostscript test-dick.dvi

Moving the % one character up, after "e" as you say, I get now, after pressing R,

Scanning special `header=l3backend-dvips.pro'.
Scanning special `! userdict       begin       /draftcopy-CurrentPage 0 def       /draftcopy-old-BOPhook { } def       currentdict /bop-hook  known{             /draftcopy-old-BOPhook /bop-hook  load def       } if       /bop-hook{         draftcopy-old-BOPhook         /draftcopy-CurrentPage draftcopy-CurrentPage 1 add def         draftcopy-CurrentPage 0 ge         draftcopy-CurrentPage 99999  le         and         { gsave 200 70 translate 65 rotate          /Times-Roman findfont           215 1  mul scalefont setfont           0  0  moveto           0.85 setgray          (DRAFT)  show           grestore         } if       } def       end       '.
Changing background color to 65535 65535 65535
Changing fg color to     0     0     0
   0    0 BOP
  76   76 PUSH
  76   76 XXX1
          `header=l3backend-dvips.pro'
  76   76 POP
  76   76 DOWN4
  76  733 PUSH
  76  733 DOWN4
  76  105 DOWN4
  76  702 PUSH
  76  702 RIGHT3
 140  702 DOWN4
 140  131 XXX4
          `! userdict       begin       /draftcopy-CurrentPage 0 def       /draftcopy-old-BOPhook { } def       currentdict /bop-hook  known{             /draftcopy-old-BOPhook /bop-hook  load def       } if       /bop-hook{         draftcopy-old-BOPhook         /draftcopy-CurrentPage draftcopy-CurrentPage 1 add def         draftcopy-CurrentPage 0 ge         draftcopy-CurrentPage 99999  le         and         { gsave 200 70 translate 65 rotate          /Times-Roman findfont           215 1  mul scalefont setfont           0  0  moveto           0.85 setgray          (DRAFT)  show           grestore         } if       } def       end       '
 140  131 DOWN3
 140  141 PUSH
 140  141 RIGHT3
 156  141 FNTDEF1
 156  141 FNTNUM28
 156  141 SETCHAR97  (a)
do_color_change: fg = 0, bg = ffffff, without globals.gc.fore2
 162  141 POP
 140  141 POP
  76  702 DOWN3
  76  733 PUSH
  76  733 PUSH
  76  733 RIGHT4
 317  733 FNTDEF1
 317  733 FNTNUM19
 317  733 SETCHAR49  (1)
 322  733 POP
  76  733 POP
  76  733 POP
  76  733 EOP

and things are fine, the page is reloaded and there's no crash.

Repeating the same experiment on the High Sierra Mac, I get the same result in the first case (ie your original file, with % after "el") as on the Monterey Mac in the second case.

How on Earth can something in the OS influence things this way? What a mystery!

Bruno