[tlbuild] dvi test?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Sun Jan 30 02:50:39 CET 2022

> On 30 Jan 2022, at 02:31, Paul Vojta <vojta at math.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
> Regarding fseek, etc., and the dvi file, could someone send me the output
> of "xdvi -debug 34 -noghostscript t2a.dvi" (in a situation where the bug
> occurs)?
>
> Here 34=2+32, where 2 asks for debugging the bytes read from the dvi file,
> and 32 asks for debugging the ps calls.  The latter is just to be sure that
> the -noghostscript option isn't somehow being ignored.

Here's the output, up to Shift-R

% xdvi -debug 34 -noghostscript t2a.dvi
Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
KPATHSEA_DEBUG = 0
xdvik 22.87.04 (Xaw toolkit), kpathsea: kpathsea version 6.3.3
configured with: ppi=600 shrink=8 mfmode=<NONE> alt_font=cmr10 paper=a4
--- G_depth: 24
Scanning special `header=l3backend-dvips.pro'.
Scanning special `! userdict       begin       /draftcopy-CurrentPage 0 def       /draftcopy-old-BOPhook { } def       currentdict /bop-hook  known{             /draftcopy-old-BOPhook /bop-hook  load def       } if       /bop-hook{         draftcopy-old-BOPhook         /draftcopy-CurrentPage draftcopy-CurrentPage 1 add def         draftcopy-CurrentPage 0 ge         draftcopy-CurrentPage 99999  le         and         { gsave 200 70 translate 65 rotate          /Times-Roman findfont           215 1  mul scalefont setfont           0  0  moveto           0.85 setgray          (DRAFT)  show           grestore         } if       } def       end       '.
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
Changing background color to 65535 65535 65535
Changing fg color to     0     0     0
   0    0 BOP
  76   76 PUSH
  76   76 XXX1
          `header=l3backend-dvips.pro'
  76   76 POP
  76   76 DOWN4
  76  733 PUSH
  76  733 DOWN4
  76  105 DOWN4
  76  702 PUSH
  76  702 RIGHT3
 140  702 DOWN4
 140  131 XXX4
          `! userdict       begin       /draftcopy-CurrentPage 0 def       /draftcopy-old-BOPhook { } def       currentdict /bop-hook  known{             /draftcopy-old-BOPhook /bop-hook  load def       } if       /bop-hook{         draftcopy-old-BOPhook         /draftcopy-CurrentPage draftcopy-CurrentPage 1 add def         draftcopy-CurrentPage 0 ge         draftcopy-CurrentPage 99999  le         and         { gsave 200 70 translate 65 rotate          /Times-Roman findfont           215 1  mul scalefont setfont           0  0  moveto           0.85 setgray          (DRAFT)  show           grestore         } if       } def       end       '
 140  131 DOWN3
 140  141 PUSH
 140  141 PUSH
 140  141 FNTDEF1
 140  141 FNTNUM29
 140  141 SETCHAR49  (1)
do_color_change: fg = 0, bg = ffffff, without globals.gc.fore2
 149  141 POP
 140  141 RIGHT3
 166  141 SETCHAR84  (T)
 177  141 RIGHT3
 176  141 SETCHAR97  (a)
 184  141 SETCHAR98  (b)
 193  141 SETCHAR108 (l)
 198  141 SETCHAR101 (e)
 206  141 W3
 211  141 SETCHAR111 (o)
 220  141 SETCHAR102 (f)
 225  141 W0
 230  141 SETCHAR65  (A)
 243  141 SETCHAR117 (u)
 252  141 SETCHAR116 (t)
 259  141 SETCHAR104 (h)
 268  141 SETCHAR111 (o)
 277  141 SETCHAR114 (r)
 284  141 SETCHAR105 (i)
 288  141 SETCHAR116 (t)
 295  141 SETCHAR105 (i)
 299  141 SETCHAR101 (e)
 307  141 SETCHAR115 (s)
 314  141 POP
 140  141 DOWN3
 140  164 PUSH
 140  164 FNTDEF1
 140  164 FNTNUM30
 140  164 SETCHAR97  (a)
 147  164 RIGHT4
 491  164 FNTDEF1
 491  164 FNTNUM19
 491  164 SETCHAR66  (B)
 498  164 POP
 140  164 POP
  76  702 DOWN3
  76  733 PUSH
  76  733 PUSH
  76  733 RIGHT4
 317  733 SETCHAR49  (1)
 322  733 POP
  76  733 POP
  76  733 POP
  76  733 EOP
   0    0 BOP
  76   76 PUSH
  76   76 XXX1
          `header=l3backend-dvips.pro'
  76   76 POP
  76   76 DOWN4
  76  733 PUSH
  76  733 DOWN4
  76  105 DOWN4
  76  702 PUSH
  76  702 RIGHT3
 140  702 DOWN4
 140  131 XXX4
[...]

and after it

   0    0 SETCHAR0
xdvi-xaw: set_no_char: attempt to set character of unknown font, offset 42
xdvi-xaw 22.87.04 (Xaw toolkit): ../../../texk/xdvik/dvi-draw.c:488: Shouldn't happen: I'll abort now, to help you debugging this.
zsh: abort      xdvi -debug 34 -noghostscript t2a.dvi

And here's the same without -noghostscript, before Shift-R

% xdvi -debug 34 t2a.dvi
Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
KPATHSEA_DEBUG = 0
xdvik 22.87.04 (Xaw toolkit), kpathsea: kpathsea version 6.3.3
configured with: ppi=600 shrink=8 mfmode=<NONE> alt_font=cmr10 paper=a4
--- G_depth: 24
Scanning special `header=l3backend-dvips.pro'.
Hit PS header in early prescan; postponing.
Scanning special `! userdict       begin       /draftcopy-CurrentPage 0 def       /draftcopy-old-BOPhook { } def       currentdict /bop-hook  known{             /draftcopy-old-BOPhook /bop-hook  load def       } if       /bop-hook{         draftcopy-old-BOPhook         /draftcopy-CurrentPage draftcopy-CurrentPage 1 add def         draftcopy-CurrentPage 0 ge         draftcopy-CurrentPage 99999  le         and         { gsave 200 70 translate 65 rotate          /Times-Roman findfont           215 1  mul scalefont setfont           0  0  moveto           0.85 setgray          (DRAFT)  show           grestore         } if       } def       end       '.
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
Resuming prescan
Running initGS ...
Got GS ack; 0 pending.
Scanning special `header=l3backend-dvips.pro'.
Running beginheader_gs()
original path: |/usr/local/texlive/2021/texmf-dist/dvips/l3backend/l3backend-dvips.pro|
expanded path: |/usr/local/texlive/2021/texmf-dist/dvips/l3backend/l3backend-dvips.pro|
Scanning special `! userdict       begin       /draftcopy-CurrentPage 0 def       /draftcopy-old-BOPhook { } def       currentdict /bop-hook  known{             /draftcopy-old-BOPhook /bop-hook  load def       } if       /bop-hook{         draftcopy-old-BOPhook         /draftcopy-CurrentPage draftcopy-CurrentPage 1 add def         draftcopy-CurrentPage 0 ge         draftcopy-CurrentPage 99999  le         and         { gsave 200 70 translate 65 rotate          /Times-Roman findfont           215 1  mul scalefont setfont           0  0  moveto           0.85 setgray          (DRAFT)  show           grestore         } if       } def       end       '.
Running beginheader_gs()
raw ps sent to context:  userdict       begin       /draftcopy-CurrentPage 0 def       /draftcopy-old-BOPhook { } def       currentdict /bop-hook  known{             /draftcopy-old-BOPhook /bop-hook  load def       } if       /bop-hook{         draftcopy-old-BOPhook         /draftcopy-CurrentPage draftcopy-CurrentPage 1 add def         draftcopy-CurrentPage 0 ge         draftcopy-CurrentPage 99999  le         and         { gsave 200 70 translate 65 rotate          /Times-Roman findfont           215 1  mul scalefont setfont           0  0  moveto           0.85 setgray          (DRAFT)  show           grestore         } if       } def       end
Running endheader_gs()
Got GS ack; 2 pending.
Got GS ack; 1 pending.
Got GS ack; 0 pending.
Changing background color to 65535 65535 65535
Erasing gs page
Got GS ack; 0 pending.
Changing fg color to     0     0     0
   0    0 BOP
  76   76 PUSH
  76   76 XXX1
          `header=l3backend-dvips.pro'
  76   76 POP
  76   76 DOWN4
  76  733 PUSH
  76  733 DOWN4
  76  105 DOWN4
  76  702 PUSH
  76  702 RIGHT3
 140  702 DOWN4
 140  131 XXX4
[...]
Running endpage_gs()

and after it

Erasing gs page
Got GS ack; 0 pending.
   0    0 SETCHAR0
xdvi-xaw: set_no_char: attempt to set character of unknown font, offset 42
xdvi-xaw 22.87.04 (Xaw toolkit): ../../../texk/xdvik/dvi-draw.c:488: Shouldn't happen: I'll abort now, to help you debugging this.
Destroying GS process
zsh: abort      xdvi -debug 34 t2a.dvi

Also, given nobody so far said whether this is normal or not: before the crash, the "DRAFT" banner across the page is never shown.

Bruno