[tlbuild] dvi test?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Sun Jan 30 01:44:21 CET 2022

Karl wrote

> Something in the latest Apple OS's breaking some long-held assumption about file access seems more likely to me.

To be sure, I took my secondary Mac (2015 MacBook with macOS 11 Big Sur) and disabled SIP (System Integrity Protection). This means that all the directories listed in /System/Library/Sandbox/rootless.conf can be written to, when acting as root. That was added in Big Sur.

No luck: xdvi crashes upon reload, exactly as before.

About your request for a Mac to which Paul or you could ssh for debug: unfortunately I cannot help, all my Macs are laptops. The main one is with me all the time, always on the go.

There are two secondary Macs, but they are not in good shape (like a busted SMC for the MacBook, meaning the SMC thinks the Mac is overheating all the time -- even though it's cold -- hence blocks or slows down all processes to the maximum possible extent, meaning a task that takes a few minutes normally may take up to several hours).

Plus, I assume you would need a static IP. At home I think the one I have is random, and at work I think I would need to negotiate with the sysadmins first to allow you access through the university firewall.

Bruno