[tlbuild] dvi test?

John Hawkinson jhawk at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 28 06:06:31 CET 2022

> By the way, what is this "13backend-dvips.pnp" file. Are we certain that
it is not the cause of the bug, since it is not present on this Yosemite
machine.

Dick: l3-backend.pro is hardcoded into .dvi files produced by TeXLive
since, I think, the TL2019 release. It has something to do with the
l3backend reorganization of the latex3 kernel, which I don't know anything
about. But because the file is referenced in the .dvi file, but didn't
exist in older TeXLive releases, the error message about it is expected.
I'm confident that it's not related to the problem since I see the same
crashing or not-crashing behavior regardless of whether I use a .dvi file
that was compiled on a more recent TeXLive distribution or not.

It does sound like the crashes depend on the environment xdvi is run in and
not on the xdvi binary itself, although that's not much help.

jhawk at alum.mit.edu
John Hawkinson