[tlbuild] Repeated Mac arm64 crashes of xdvi-xaw with "set_no_char: attempt to set character of unknown font, offset 42"

Johannes Hielscher jhielscher at posteo.de
Tue Jan 25 16:24:48 CET 2022

Am Mon, 24 Jan 2022 19:18:58 -0700
schrieb Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org>:

> Per Mojca's suggestion, does anyone have FreeBSD that can try it? -k

All on an up-to-date FreeBSD 13.0 machine, with LLVM/clang/libc++ at
version 11.0.1 .
Only on x86_64 (no luck with FreeBSD on aarch64 so far).

$ uname -a
FreeBSD localhost 13.0-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p6 #0: Mon Jan 10
06:28:50 UTC 2022
root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC
amd64

Refreshing the t2a.dvi in question worked without crashing with the
xdvi-xaw binary:
  * as supplied by SVN Master/bin/amd64-freebsd (-r58388 from TL2021
    release)
  * from the contextgarden tarball (on FreeBSD 11.2, build ID
    texlive.freebsd-amd64.prg/1007 from the -r61726 sources,
    16 hours ago)
  * Local build on FreeBSD 13.0 from -r61733 sources.

As a tangent to the elusive issues with xdvi at *run time*, I had
*compile-time* troubles with it too. The The local TL build went fine
until it came to xdvi, which failed with

  ld: error: undefined symbol: libiconv

The ./configure of xdvi has found iconv, and the sources themselves
compiled into .o/.a just fine. But the final linker call still fails to
locate libiconv, although -L/usr/local/bin was given and there is a
libiconv.so there, awaiting dynamic linking. I could finish the build
(and test the t2a.dvi) by manually adding
  -liconv
to the failed linker command:

libtool: link: clang -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -O2 -pipe -o xdvi-bin
main.o -Wl,--allow-multiple-definition
libxdvi.a /path/to/Build/source/Work/texk/kpathsea/.libs/libkpathsea.a /path/to/Build/source/Work/libs/freetype2/libfreetype.a
-L/us r/local/lib -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXext -lXpm -lX11 -lm
ld: error: undefined symbol: libiconv
>>> referenced by encodings.c
>>>               encodings.o:(cjk2unicode) in archive libxdvi.a
>>> referenced by util.c
>>>               util.o:(iconv_convert_string) in archive libxdvi.a

[…similar for the libiconv_{open,close} symbols following]

Best,
Johannes