[tlbuild] Repeated Mac arm64 crashes of xdvi-xaw with "set_no_char: attempt to set character of unknown font, offset 42"

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Tue Jan 25 15:07:44 CET 2022

Karl,

> On Jan 24, 2022, at 6:18 PM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
>
>    XDvi 22.87.04 (Xaw toolkit): Failed assertion:
>    ../../../texk/xdvik/dvi-draw.c:2187: "color_bot_size > 0":
>    color_bot_size mustn't become negative! Aborting now. Please report this
>    as a bug to: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=23164&atid=377580__;!!C5qS4YX3!TIkEmIlMHA6lfca4TrgLZRgQC7EC_MmXhVTyyR5_-hz2AjvR8aElw10QzxS-LHA$
>
> A different failure, perhaps with the same underlying cause, whatever it
> is.  Can you post your .dvi, Dick?  It does not really matter that it is
> not minimal. What's important for debugging, at least at first blush, is
> to be able to reproduce the crash. (Maybe you could use dviselect to
> extract out a few pages and see if the crash still happens, though.)
>
> Per Mojca's suggestion, does anyone have FreeBSD that can try it? -k

I'm beginning to understand John's frustration. When I reported this bug, it happened consistently. I could quit and restart XQuartz and open my document, and it would consistently crash. Just a few motions in the page number list would cause it.

Today, nothing. I can move around the document at will, sweep down the number list, type R over and over. Solid as a rock.
Go figure.

Richard Koch