[tlbuild] One of the latest commits broken solaris builds

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 07:12:56 CEST 2021

Hi,

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 at 01:26, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:

> >>  error: #error "Compiler or options invalid for pre-UNIX 03 X/Open
> >> applications and pre-2001 POSIX applications"
>
> I build a lot of software on Solaris 10 and 11, and have seen similar
> complaints many times.  Here are the configure script settings
> that I use that appear to fix them (at least sometimes):
>
> ### This version is for Solaris 10.  /usr/include/sys/feature_tests.h
> ### says
> ###      * It is invalid to compile an XPG3, XPG4, XPG4v2, or XPG5 application
> ###      * using c99.  The same is true for POSIX.1-1990, POSIX.2-1992, POSIX.1b,
> ###      * and POSIX.1c applications. Likewise, it is invalid to compile an XPG6
> ###      * or a POSIX.1-2001 application with anything other than a c99 or later
> ###      * compiler.  Therefore, we force an error in both cases.
> ### However, it is permitted to use XPG6, so we do that
>
> CC=/opt/sunstudio12.1/bin/c99
> CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600 -D_XPG6"
> CXX=/opt/sunstudio12.1/bin/CC
> CXXFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600 -D_XPG6"
> LDFLAGS="-R/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib"
>
> Try
>
>         % man standards
>
> on Solaris 10 or 11 to see how Sun tried to cope with the
> myriad of C and POSIX and XPG standards.

I started writing this email yesterday when I did a quick bisection
using upstream sources which lead to the following commit that broke
the build:
    https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freetype/freetype/-/commit/1c229af2d2f1b89b87fb1a4abaf6cb2ee69aa6fe
and I opened a ticket for upstream:
    https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freetype/freetype/-/issues/1093

But before I managed to send the reply (I was just about to try
patching the sources), I see that Akira already fixed the sources
(after upgrading to 2.11)
    http://tug.org/svn/texlive?view=revision&revision=60398
and now all the platforms on our build farm seem to build fine again
(sparc is still building, but I predict a success).

Thank you very much!