[tlbuild] New ICU tests fail on aarch64-linux (on Debian 10)

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 11:13:07 CEST 2021

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 at 23:40, Johannes Hielscher wrote:

> Hi builders, Mojca, Takuji,
>
> Confirmed here (aarch64-linux, also on Debian 10). The error is caused
> by the brand new icu_rules tests, that Takuji has appended mere seven
> hours ago to
> /trunk/Build/source/texk/upmendex/tests/upmendex.test
> http://tug.org/svn/texlive?view=revision&revision=60308
>
> Mojca, do I see it correctly that you have just launched an Debian on
> aarch64-linux buildbot client in the build farm,

In reality I just renamed an existing builder that was running inside
a VM on Mac Mini.

> and just hit one hour
> after Takuji has pushed an update for the upmendex test? That's proper
> timing /-:

I have probably configured one hour delay before the builds start to
avoid building sequential commits too many times.
I don't have any notifications configured when failures happen, but I
happened to be fiddling with the hardware around that time, so I
noticed the issue before all other builds were even finished.

(Btw, the builds inside the virtual machine on M1 are ten times faster
than on RPi 4 using a fast external SSD. OpenBSD seems to be the
slowest beast for compiling TeX Live by a huge margin: up to 3-5 times
slower than Debian Linux when it's running on the same hardware with
the same amount of allocated resources. Admittedly it's all running
inside a VM that might not be fully optimized for OpenBSD, but still
...)